Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sony vs. JVC - Blog Post #4 -

When it comes to the Sony and JVC cameras, I kind of have a hard time choosing which one I really like the best. Both cameras have their positives and negatives. The first issue that I feel is important about a camera is what type of equipment/media it records to. When it comes to tape or flash media cards, I wholeheartedly pick flash media cards every time. They are more efficient in my eyes and we are working with actual memory size and not just length of tape.  And transferring the footage over is a breeze compared to logging and capturing the footage on tape in Final Cut Pro. Also, tapes can break very easily if not handled carefully. If you have just shot a very important interview, sporting event, wedding, etc. and the tape you recorded it to somehow breaks, you more than likely will not be able to use that footage. I prefer the image quality of the Sony to the image quality of the JVC. I'm a big fan of the clean, dynamic images that are captured by the CMOS sensor. I think it really depends on your project- I've used the JVC to shoot a lot of live video, and it's been pretty great (especially being able to hot-swap cards), but I think I prefer the Sony for well-thought-out narratives or pieces like our portraits. Overall, they are both very nice pieces of equipment, each of them with their advantages and disadvantages, but nonetheless a really nice camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment